Mindfulness Practices to Stay Present and Positive
One of the best things we can do to maintain a positive mindset is to clear our heads. Unclog the negativity from your brainwaves by practicing mindfulness daily. Here’s how you can start!
No, it isn’t just for yogis! Meditation is a method to practice mindfulness, cultivating self-awareness and compassion. You can meditate anywhere:
- Out on a run or jog
- During a hike or nature walk
- In a fitness class like yoga or Pilates
- Relaxing at the beach
- A few quiet minutes at your desk
How to Practice Mindfulness
Select the space that is the most comfortable and calm for you.
Set a time limit.
- Start with five minutes in the beginning, then increase that time later.
- Try actively practicing during an entire run—this time varies per person.
Pay attention to your body.
- Mentally scan from the top of your head down to your toes for physical awareness.
Find your breath.
- Notice every inhale and exhale
Notice when your mind wanders.
- It’s normal for your mind to wander. Be aware when this happens, observe these thoughts, then focus your attention back on your breathing.
- Avoid self-judgment for these thoughts!
Clearing your mind for 15 minutes a day can help treat depression, lead to lower blood pressure and increase your overall health.